Alaska is referred to as “The Last Frontier” and is known for its’ rich supply of gold and a prolific fishing industry. What many people do not realize is that Healthcare is one of Alaska’s largest industries, employing over 30,000 people in 2008. More people are employed within the Healthcare industry than in the Alaskan State Government. Anchorage has the largest amount of jobs in the healthcare market and is the home of Alaska Pacific University. Even though more than half of the healthcare industry’s employment is in Anchorage, there are employment opportunities in almost every borough in Alaska.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean annual income for health services managers in Alaska was $109,090. This is expected to rise over the next five years. With new educational and employment opportunities, a position in the Healthcare Management field can be the career change many Alaskans need.
Alaska Pacific University
The School of Business – Business Administration Department
Founded as a Methodist University in 1957, Anchorage based Alaska Pacific University sits on 170 acre wooded main campus near the foothills of the Chugach Mountains. It is a four-year liberal arts school, offering degrees at all levels. The School of Business includes state of the art facilities and beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Alaska Pacific University is part of the Eco League, a group of five small universities and colleges with programs in Business, Psychology and Environmental Sciences. Degree options include Accounting, Business Administration and Management and Health Services.
Masters of Business Administration in Health Services Administration
Health Services Administration (HSA) is a concentration within the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program. The program builds a foundation on analytical and integrated knowledge of the health service industry. Alaska Pacific is providing students with an education in the development and implementation of health service policies and solid business fundamentals in the healthcare service industry.
All students in the MBA program will complete a core curriculum. Students wishing to pursue a concentration in HAS will complete an additional 9 credits of research preparation and completion of a thesis project. Upon graduation students will have:
• Gained an appreciation of the local, domestic, and global environments as they relate to business management
• Enhanced their business judgment and identified sound management methods including the ability to think critically and strategically
• Attained an understanding of, and ability to appropriately leverage, interpersonal relationships and team work
• Developed analytical expertise and functional frameworks drawn from a broad range of managerial skills including accounting, finance, economics, marketing, management, and law
• Acquired an ability to incorporate appropriate quantitative and qualitative data, including an appreciation for the value and costs of obtaining data, into management decisions
• Established outstanding, multi-method, communication skills
• Recognized the value of effective and ethical leadership so they can lead themselves, others, and organizations
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NCCU)
International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE)
Alaska Pacific University
4101 University Drive
Anchorage, Alaska 99508
With the rapidly expanding growth of the healthcare service industry in Alaska the Master of Health Service Management Degree from Alaska Pacific University will prepare those looking for a fast paced and rewarding career in the Health Care Management field. With over 50 years of experience this university maintains its small class size and individualized educational focus.
As the need for healthcare managers continues to rise, opportunities for educational growth will also continue to rise. More and more options are opening up for people who hope to combine their interest in both healthcare and business. For these people a Master’s Degree in Healthcare Management is a wonderful option.